Wednesday, November 02, 2005

The Fruits of Mass Media

I thought that I would start a new tradition at City of ink (which is easy to do when there are no established traditions), and so I introduce to you my fellow bloggers a quote for your delight and debate.

"Bloggers claim I was their first pelt, and I believe that. I'll never read a blog." -Trent Lott, Mississippi Senator forced to resign as majority leader because of confidential comments he made about another Senator (from Time Nov. 7, 2005).

It is interesting to me that something so potentially inconsequential as a blog could ruin a politician's career. In this age of mass media--where blogs are a free commodity--is the information we receive watered down, less relevant, or somehow less powerful because of the quantity available to the consumer? Or, are we as a society better informed thanks to mass media?

I personally believe that society, now, is better informed than say twenty years ago, thanks to mass media (especially the internet). However, I do believe that there is a ton of crap out there too, mainly extremist diatribes, which the informed consumer has to wade through to get his information. What do you believe?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home